7.28.2004

MICHAEL MOORE SHOWS HIS TRUE COLORS

Although I have my own criticisms of Michael Moore and find him mildly annoying, he is absolutely necessary to beging countering the extreme, monolithic right-wing propaganda machine and the likes of Bush spokesman Ralph Reed, former executive director of the Christian Coalition.

On Tuesday, Moore joined conservative Fox News commentator Bill O'Reilly in what USA Today called "a spirited debate."

True to form, O'Reilly put forward the desperate, ridiculous assertion that Moore was Saddam Hussein's "biggest defender in the media" -- as if opposing a misbegotten war waged for fictitious reasons equaled support for a former U.S.-backed despot.

It doesn't.

Later, Moore showed a true sense of respect for his fellow human beings and an honest understanding of the cost of war. USA Today writes:

The lightest moment of the exchange, ironically, came after Moore asked O'Reilly three times whether he would be willing to "sacrifice his child" to fight with U.S. forces in Iraq.

"I would sacrifice myself," O'Reilly said.

"Can we sign him up? Can we sign him up right now?" Moore shouted with glee. "Where's the recruiter?"

"You'd love to get rid of me," said O'Reilly.

"No," Moore said, his voice softening. "I want you to live. I want you to live."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home